broken wheat sweet pongal – tasty, healthy sweet wheat rava pongal with jaggery.
Pongal is a famous South Indian festival and during this day a delicious dish called pongal is prepared with rice and moong dal. Pongal can be sweet or savory. Sweet pongal is called as sakkarai pongal which is often made with rice, moong dal and jaggery. Savory pongal is called by the name ven pongal made with rice, moong dal and spices.
Today, I am sharing healthy pongal recipe with broken wheat. It is a sweet version made with broken wheat, moong dal and jaggery.
broken wheat is also called as cracked wheat or godhambu rava, dalia etc. This recipe of godhambu sakkarai pongal is very similar to regular sakkarai pongal made with rice. But compared to rice, it is healthy and nutritious.
Pongal is nearing and here’s a healthy sakkarai pongal recipe to celebrate the festival.
Let us see how to make broken wheat sweet pongal.
broken wheat sweet pongal
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: dessert
cuisine: South Indian
serves: 2 – 3
- broken wheat – 3/4 cup
- split moong dal – 1/4 cup
- water – 3 and 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup for jaggery
- ghee – 2 tablespoons
- milk – 1/2 cup
- jaggery – 1/2 cup
- cashew nuts – 10
- edible camphor – a pinch
how to make broken wheat sweet pongal recipe
1.Heat 1 teaspoon of ghee in a pressure cooker. Add the broken wheat rava and saute well for a few minutes. To this add moong dal with 3 and 1/2 cups of water. Pressure cook for 4 whistles. Turn off the flame and wait till the pressure subsides. Open the pressure cooker.
2. Add grated jaggery and water into a bowl. Boil them until jaggery dissolves. Stir well until the jaggery dissolves completely. Strain the jaggery water to remove all the impurities.
3. Add the jaggery syrup to the pressure cooked wheat and keep cooking.
4. Add a pinch of edible camphor. Cook for a few minutes until the jaggery water gets mixed well. Add 1 teaspoon of ghee at a time and keep cooking. Add in milk and keep cooking.
5. Cook until the mixture reaches the pongal consistency.
6. Heat ghee in a pan. Add cashew nuts and saute until it becomes golden brown. Add the tempering along with a pinch of cardamom powder to the wheat pongal.
7. Delicious broken wheat sweet pongal is ready to serve.