broken wheat biryani recipe or wheat rava biryani – tasty, healthy wheat biryani for breakfast or lunch.
broken wheat also called as dalia is often used in Indian cooking to make upma, porridge, and many other dishes. They are rich in fiber and is also believed to help control diabetes.
The amount of water and cooking time will vary depending on the type of broken wheat used. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can also cook broken wheat biryani in a pot. But take care to add more water and cook covered, stirring in between to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Recently, I got a request for diabetic friendly recipes. Here’s a healthy broken wheat biryani a diabetic friendly dish.
broken wheat biryani recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 20 minutes
recipe type: breakfast, lunch
- broken wheat – 1 and 1/2 cups
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- bay leaf – 1
- cinnamon – 1 small piece
- fennel seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- onion – 1 medium, sliced
- green chili – 1, sliced
- ginger garlic paste – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
- chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- vegetables chopped – 1 and 1/2 cups (I used carrots, beans, peas )
- water – 3 cups
- salt – to taste
- coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
- lemon juice – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
how to make broken wheat biryani recipe
1.Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, fennel seeds and saute for a few seconds.
2. Add sliced onion, green chilies, ginger garlic paste and saute till onion turns light brownish in color and the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off completely.
3. Add in chopped vegetables, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and saute again for a few more minutes.
4. Add in the spice powders, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, one by one and saute well so that veggies get mixed well with the masala.
5. Add broken wheat, and saute for a few minutes. Add in water, mix well. Add salt.
6. Add lemon juice, coriander leaves, mix well. Cover the pressure cooker and cook on a low flame for 1 whistle. Turn off the flame.
7. Wait till the pressure subsides. Open the pressure cooker, fluff it up with a fork. Serve broken wheat biryani with raita.