Bread upma is an easy way to make use of leftover bread. It is an easy, stir-fried bread recipe. At home, this upma recipe is one of our favorite snack recipes made with bread.
I often make bread upma at home. I always have stock of bread packets for making sandwiches. But after two or three days, few piece get left out. These bread pieces are used to make bread upma.
The preparation of bread upma takes hardly 10 – 15 minutes for the entire process. It can be served with any sauce or chutney or it tastes great as such also.If you want more bread recipes, you would like, bread uttapam, bread bonda, besan toast, or other bread sandwiches like veg mayo sandwich, sweetcorn sandwich, paneer bhurji sandwich.
BREAD UPMA RECIPE
recipe name: bread upma
preparation time: 10 mins
cooking time: 20 mins
recipe type: snacks, breakfast
cuisine: south indian, indian
- bread slices – 5
- onion – 1 (medium)
- tomato – 2
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- oil – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- hing / asafoetida powder – a pinch
- ginger – 1 small piece (crushed)
- cashew nuts – 4 – 5 pieces (broken)
- green chili – 1 (chopped)
- curry leaves – few
- dry red chili – 2
How to make bread upma recipe with step by step pics
bread upma recipe below
- bread slices - 5
- onion - 1 (mediuml)
- tomato - 2, finely chopped
- turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- pepper powder - ¼ teaspoon
- For tempering
- oil - 1 and ½ tablespoons
- mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- urad dal - 1 teaspoon
- hing / asafoetida powder - a pinch
- ginger - 1 small piece (crushed)
- cashew nuts - 4 - 5 pieces (broken)
- green chili - 1 (chopped)
- curry leaves - few
- dry red chili - 2
- Cut bread slices into bite sized pieces. Keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add dry red chili, urad dal, cashew nuts, curry leaves, ginger, green chili and hing, saute for a second.
- Add chopped onion and saute till it becomes light brownish in color.
- Add turmeric powder and saute till raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped tomato pieces, salt and saute till it turns mushy and oil starts separating.
- Add bread pieces, and toss well.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ghee or oil, pepper powder, toss once more and cook for 2 - 3 more minutes, or until you see brown spots on the bread pieces.
You can also add masala powders like sambar powder, pav bhaji masala.
Don't add water while adding bread pieces.