bread halwa – easy indian dessert
bread halwa recipe with step by step pics – a tasty halwa recipe made with bread. This bread halwa is a special dish prepared during all Muslim functions, whether it be wedding or any other. It is a very rich, delicious and flavorful dessert.
There are various sweets made of bread like bread gulab jamun, shahi tukda and many others, but I really feel that this bread halwa is one of the easiest one to make among them all.
Halwa is a popular Indian dessert. It can be made with many things like semolina or sooji, vermicelli, fruits or vegetables. It is made with lots of ghee and sugar. Today’s halwa recipe is no exception. It is bread halwa that is, bread cooked with milk, ghee, and sugar.
You can use any variety of bread brown bread, white bread, multi-grain bread or any others to make bread halwa. But I have used milk bread here as it was the one available at home.
This bread halwa is very easy to make unlike the normal halwas where you need to get the right color, consistency and taste.
This bread halwa uses very few ingredients that are readily available at home, and there is no need of any chopping or grating like we do for other halwa.
I was searching for some easy halwa recipes and this bread halwa caught my attention. I had few bread pieces left with me and I tried it out immediately. It is very easy to make and makes use of ingredients which are readily available in every kitchen. It is also a best way to make use of leftover bread.
Initially when I served it at home, they were like what is this? So don’t go with the color of the dish. If you want a nice attractive color, you can add orange food color, but usually, I don’t prefer adding food colors and hence I haven’t added any.
Let us see how to make bread halwa with step by step pictures. You can also check out other Indian sweet recipes like milk powder burfi, easy carrot halwa, thinai ladoo, kesar peda, rasgulla, and many others.
how to make bread halwa recipe with step by step pics
1. Trim the edges of the bread slices and cut them into square sized pieces. (You can also use the edges of the bread if you wish to. It won’t ruin the taste.)
2. Add 1 tablespoon of ghee to a pan. Add cashew nuts and fry it till it starts changing color. Transfer it to a plate and keep aside. To the same ghee, add chopped almonds and saute for a few seconds. Transfer it to the plate along with cashew nuts.
3. To the same pan, add half of the ghee and heat it. To this add the bread pieces and saute well. Keep frying in medium flame until it becomes golden brown color. This is a very important step. If the bread pieces are not fried well, then you will get a bread smell and taste in your halwa. (You can also toast the bread well in ghee and add it to the milk and make halwa. )
4. Add 1/2 cup of milk, mix well. Mash the bread pieces well. Keep mixing in medium flame, so that the bread pieces get mashed well.
5. Now add the rest of the milk and cook well till all the bread pieces get cooked well. Wait till the entire milk gets absorbed.
6. Add sugar, cardamom powder and mix well till sugar melts. You will find that the mixture turns gooey. Add 2 teaspoons of ghee and mix well for another 2 – 3 minutes.
7. Add crumbled khoya and mix well. Keep stirring until the khoya get blended well into the halwa.
8. Keep adding 2 teaspoons of ghee at a time, and keep mixing until everything comes together as a mass and starts moving around together.
9. Finally, add cashew and almonds. Mix well.
10. Serve bread halwa hot or warm.
bread halwa recipe below
- Bread slices - 6 - 7
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Milk - 2½ cups
- khoya / mawa - ¼ cup optional
- ghee - ¼ cup
- cashew nuts - 4 - 5
- almonds - 4 - 5
- cardamom powder - ¼ teaspoon
- Trim the edges of the bread slices and cut them into pieces.
- Add half of the ghee in a pan and heat it. To this add the bread pieces and saute well. Keep frying in medium flame until it becomes golden brown color.
- Add ½ cup of milk, mix well. Mash the bread pieces well.
- Now add the rest of the milk and cook well till all the bread pieces get cooked well. Wait till the entire milk gets absorbed.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder and mix well till sugar melts. You will find that the mixture turns gooey.
- Add crumbled khoya and mix well. Keep stirring until the khoya get blended well into the halwa.
- Add ghee little by little and keep mixing.
- Keep mixing until it starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Add the fried cashew and almond mixture, mix well.
- Bread halwa is ready to serve. Serve hot or warm.