bhindi rice recipe – a tasty and easy to make rice recipe for lunch made with lady’s finger or okra.
The school has reopened and now I am trying to pack healthy and interesting items in kids lunch box. But packing lunch for kids can sometimes be very confusing. They don’t want to take the same rice, curry, and poriyal daily. I often make veg pulao, chinese fried rice, aloo paratha, lemon rice, for lunch and this bhindi pulao or okra rice is an addition to healthy lunch box recipes.
For making bhindi rice, I have cooked the rice in an open pot, but you can also use a pressure cooker for this. I have made use of basmati rice, but you can use any variety of rice available with you.
Let us learn how to make bhindi rice recipe.
bhindi rice recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 30 minutes
recipe type: main
for cooking rice:
- basmati rice – 1 cup
- oil – 1 teaspoon
- cardamom – 2
- cloves – 2
- bay leaf – 1
- cinnamon – 1/2-inch piece
- cumin seeds or jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- water – 1 and 1/2 cups
- lady’s finger or bhindi – 15 – 16
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- curry leaves – few
- onion – 1 medium, sliced
- green chili – 1, slit
- ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- sambar powder – 3 teaspoons
- garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- salt – to taste
- coriander leaves – few, finely chopped
how to make bhindi rice recipe
1. To make bhindi rice, let us first cook the rice. Wash and soak basmati rice in enough water for 15 – 20 minutes. Drain the excess water after 20 minutes, and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, cumin seeds and saute for a minute. Then add 1 and 1/2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add the washed, soaked and drained rice. Add salt. Mix gently. Cook till the rice is done. Turn off the flame. Allow it to cool.
3. Meanwhile, cut bhindi into thin round slices. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, add onion, green chili, ginger garlic paste. Saute till onion turns translucent.
4. Add turmeric powder, sambar powder, and garam masala and salt. Don’t add too much of salt. We have already added salt while cooking the rice. (If you don’t have sambar powder, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder)
5. Add the chopped lady’s finger. Mix it well with the rest of the ingredients. Reduce the flame to low and cook till bhindi gets cooked well. Keep stirring at intervals and cook till bhindi becomes tender and gets cooked well.
6. Now add the cooked rice, mix gently. Cook on a low flame for another 2 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves. Turn off the flame.
7. bhindi rice is ready. Serve okra rice hot with raita and papad.