bread besan toast recipe – I would say can be put under the section “healthy snack ideas” or evening snacks with besan. It is very easy to prepare and this is one dish which can be made in a jiffy. It just takes 10 – 15 minutes for the entire preparation.
As I have told you, my daughter wants something special daily after coming home from school and toasts or sandwiches are the easiest to prepare. This can also be considered as a healthy snack for adults too. Bread besan toast is made with bread which contains carbohydrates and besan (chickpea flour) which is a storehouse of proteins. So isn’t it healthy?
Bread besan toast is a healthy alternative for vegetarians and is a very good option as a breakfast or snack. I usually make idly / dosa for breakfast but at times when I don’t have idly / dosa batter or I am lazy to prepare something, then this besan toast comes as a savior. As I have already told you, breakfast is very important for me and my family and we can’t think of skipping it. So this definitely comes as a healthy alternative.
Method of preparing bread besan toast is very easy. Mix all the ingredients like besan, chopped onion, green chilly, ginger, coriander leaves and salt in a bowl. If you are making for kids, you can omit or reduce the amount of green chillies. Make a semi thick batter, dip the bread pieces in the batter and toast it well. Toast is ready. Now to the recipe..
How to make besan bread toast recipe with step by step pics
1. Peel and chop the onion into small pieces. All the ingredients should be finely chopped otherwise when you dip the bread pieces in the batter, these will not stick to the pieces.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine all the above ingredients except bread slices.
3. Slowly add water and mix to get a thin consistency. The batter should not too thin or too thick. Make a batter of medium consistency.
4. Now, cut the bread slices into half (like triangular pieces).
Bread besan toast recipe below
- bread slices - 6 - 8
- besan or chickpea flour - 1 cup
- rice flour - ¼ cup
- onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- green chili - 1 - 2 (finely chopped)
- coriander leaves - 2 tablespoon (finely chopped)
- cumin powder (roasted) - 1 teaspoon
- ginger (grated) - ¾ teaspoon
- asafoetida powder or hing - a pinch
- red chili powder - ½ teaspoon (optional)
- salt - to taste
- oil - as required
- water - as required
- Peel and chop onion into small pieces.
- Combine all the ingredients except bread slices into a bowl.
- Add required amount of water, mix well to make a batter of medium consistency.
- Cut the bread slices into triangular pieces.
- Dip each bread slice into the batter. Coat each bread slice with batter on both the sides.
- Heat a tawa and grease it with oil.
- Place the bread slices on the hot tawa.
- Add oil around the edges and roast it on both the sides on low flame till both the sides get roasted well.
- Transfer it to a serving plate and serve bread besan toast with chutney or sauce.
You can also add little bit of pepper powder to this.