|Toor dal||3/4 cup|
|tamarind||small lemon sized ball|
|beetroot (peeled and cubed)||2 (medium)|
|turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|sambar powder (I used Brahmin’s sambar powder)||2 teaspoon|
|mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
|cumin seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|fenugreek seeds / uluva / methi||1/2 teaspoon|
|asafoetida powder / hing||1/2 teaspoon|
|dry red chilli||1 – 2|
|coriander leaves (chopped)||few|
1. Wash dal in clean water and drain it. Place dal in pressure cooker with 1 1/2 cups of water and cook for 3 whistles.
2. Soak tamarind in 1 1/2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Extract the juice and discard the pulp.
3. Combine tamarind juice, green chillies, beetroot, turmeric powder, sambar powder, salt in a pan. Place the pan initially over high heat till it starts boiling. Lower the heat, cook covered for 10 – 15 minutes, till the raw aroma of tamarind goes off and beetroot is cooked tender.
4. Mix in dal and cook in sim again for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally till blended.
5. Heat oil for tempering in a small pan over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients for tempering one by one. Saute for one minute and then add the contents to the sambar.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with plain rice.
If you find this post useful, please share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving