Batata poha / potato poha – a healthy and tasty breakfast or snack made with a mixture of beaten rice flakes, potatoes, peanuts and other healthy ingredients and a tint of lime. This is a very tasty dish. This is a dish which is very famous in Maharashtra and I came to know about this dish from one of my colleagues, who was from Maharashtra. It is always best to have it for breakfast as it is power packed with proteins but it can also be served as a snack.
How to make batata poha: Preparation of potato poha is very easy. Wash poha, drain it and keep it aside. Most of us might be having roasted peanuts at home, and we can make use of that. Otherwise, roast peanuts. Fry potatoes till it becomes golden color. Fry onion, mix everything, cover and cook for few minutes. Add little lime juice to it. Ready! Serve it hot.
|Poha (thick variety)||1 cup|
|peanuts||1 1/2 tablespoon|
|oil||3 – 4 tablespoon|
|mustard seeds||3/4 teaspoon|
|cumin seeds||3/4 teaspoon|
|asafoetida / hing||a pinch|
|onion (chopped)||1 (medium)|
|turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|red chilli powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|lemon juice||1 tablespoon|
|coriander leaves||1 tablespoon (chopped)|
1. Clean poha, add in a strainer, rinse under clear running water.
2. Don’t rinse too much or else it will get mushy. It should be soft and separate.
3. Sprinkle turmeric powder, salt and sugar in poha. Mix gently.
4. Roast peanuts in medium flame till they become crunchy. Transfer it to another plate.
5. Peel potatoes, chop them into small cubes.
6. In a pan heat oil. Saute potatoes in medium flame, till it attains golden color. Transfer it to another plate.
7. In the same pan, add another 2 tablespoons of oil, splutter mustard seeds. Then add cumin seeds.
8. Once cumin sizzles, add onion, green chilli and saute till the raw smell goes off and onion becomes brownish in color.
9. Next add fried peanuts and roasted potatoes, saute well.
10. Add soaked poha, mix well, cover and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
11. Next, add lemon juice, chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Turn off the flame.
12. Serve hot.