banana sponge ring cake recipe – a light, airy sponge cake very easy to make at home.
This banana sponge cake was made using very ripe and almost disintegrating bananas. The summer heat is too much to cook the bananas that they start getting over ripe very soon. I usually keep these very ripe bananas in the freezer compartment and use them for smoothies, ice creams or jellies, and jams. I also make simple whole wheat banana bread or banana kesari.
This banana sponge cake has a melt in the mouth texture and is very soft. I poured some icing sugar over it and studded it with sugar flowers and starts. But you can have it plain with a cup of evening tea. It is also a great way to make use of leftover bananas – in fact, you can substitute any fruit and get great results like any berries, pineapple, orange, mango and even apple.
banana sponge ring cake recipe
preparation time: 30 minutes
baking time: 25 minutes
recipe type: dessert
serves: 6 – 7
- ripe banana – 2 medium
- egg yolks – 5
- egg white – 5
- vanilla essence – 2 teaspoons
- salt – 1 teaspoon
- powdered sugar – 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup
- refined oil – 1/4 cup (or butter)
- maida or all-purpose flour – 1/2 cup mixed with 1 tablespoon baking powder
- baking powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- cream of tartar – 1/4 teaspoon, optional
for drizzling on top
- icing sugar – 1/2 cup
- milk – 2 tablespoons
- fancy sugar flowers and stars
how to make banana sponge ring cake recipe
1.To make banana sponge ring cake, let us start by preparing the cake. Preheat oven at 160-degree centigrade. Prepare a cake ring pan or any pan of your choice.
2. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda in a bowl. Mix well.
3. Separate the egg yolks and egg whites. In a large bowl, add the egg whites. Beat it well with an electric beater or a stand mixer until it becomes foamy. Add in cream of tartar and beat well again until a very thick foam is formed and the whites thicken. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and continue beating till the mixture forms firm peaks. Keep aside.
4. In another bowl, add ripe bananas, oil, egg yolks, and the remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar and vanilla essence. Beat it with an electric beater until it becomes smooth, creamy and well mixed. Sift the flour mix over this and mix well with a spatula or a whisk. Add the prepared egg white mixture 2 tablespoons at a time, and folding all the time. Do not over mix.
5. Pour the cake mix into the prepared pan and bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan and remove onto a plate.
6. If making the icing, mix milk and icing sugar, and pour over the cake. Decorate with sugar flowers and starts.
7. banana sponge ring cake is ready. Serve with tea or coffee.
The best part is that this cake is light and perfect for summer teas.This can be had by itself or as a pudding with whipped cream.Do not add a lot of sugar as the ripe Bananas fill in for almost 40% of sugar in the recipe.
NOTE – I have used Cream of Tartar in the recipe. If you do not have it then omit it.