baked masala vada – tasty, healthy, guilt free snack made with chana dal. Also called as chana dal vada or paruppu vada.
paruppu vada or masala vada is a tasty deep fried tea time snack made with chana dal or bengal gram dal. I make deep fried paruppu vada, but this is a baked masala vada which is very healthy compared to the deep fried version.
When it comes to parties, I personally do not like to stand too much in the kitchen and would love to bake as it is less stressful than cooking with a stove. This baked masala vada is a baked version of traditional south indian masala vada. There is absolutely no compromise in taste and can be made in batches.
baked masala vada recipe
preparation time: 3 to 4 hours
cooking time: 40 minutes
recipe type: snack
- chana dal or kadalai paruppu – 1/2 cup
- fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- green chili – 3
- ginger – 1-inch piece
- garlic – 2
- curry leaves – few
- mint leaves – 2 tablespoons
- coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon
- onion – 1, finely chopped
- rice flour – 1 tablespoon
- oil – 2 tablespoons, to brush
- salt – to taste
- asafoetida powder or hing – a pinch
how to make baked masala vada recipe
1.Wash and soak chana dal in enough water for 3 to 4 hours. Drain the excess water and keep aside.
2. Grind green chili, ginger, fennel seeds, and garlic in the mixer jar. Transfer to a bowl. Keep aside.
3. Add the soaked and drained dal to a mixer jar and grind it to a coarse paste without adding water.
4. Add the ground dal to the bowl containing the green chili paste. To this add finely chopped onion, mint leaves, coriander leaves, salt, hing and mix well.
5. Add rice flour. Adjust the quantity to make it a bit thick. Sometimes, the batter might have water content, then rice flour can be added.
6. Take a baking tray and brush it with oil.
7. Take small pinches of the vada batter and shape them into patties . Place the prepared patties in the tray.
8. Brush the patties with oil on top and put it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
9. Preheat oven at 190-degree centigrade for 5 minutes and then place the tray.
10. Check in between after around 10 to 12 minutes. Turn them after they become brown on the top side. It took me 18 minutes to the first side.
11. Flip to the other side to check if it has turned golden brown. Brushing oil after flipping is optional. It will take around 35 minutes to get cooked. You may switch off the oven and leave it inside to store it hot until it is served.
12. baked masala vada is ready. Serve hot as tea time snack.