aval payasam is a tasty dessert made with aval or poha or rice flakes. It is often made during Janmashtami or Sri Krishna Jayanti. poha kheer is a very easy dessert made with rice flakes, sugar, milk and ghee.
Aval or Poha or Beaten rice is said to be a favorite of Lord Krishna. Now since Janmashtami is nearing, I thought I would share with you the recipe of aval payasam.Payasam is a Malayalam word. In other languages, it is also known as kheer or
Payasam or kheer is a dessert which is made on special occasions. It takes less than 15 minutes to prepare this delicious prasadam for sri krishna jayanthi. Usually, this is made during Janmashtami, along with pal payasam,
My grandmother makes paal payasam during Janmashtami. I also follow the same procedure and make paal payasam but this time for a change I made aval payasam.
aval payasam recipe
preparation time: 10 mins
cooking time: 20 mins
recipe type: dessert
- aval or poha or beaten rice – 1/4 cup
- boiled milk – 2 and 1/2 cups
- sugar – 1/4 cup
- ghee – 2 teaspoon
- cashew nuts – 5 – 7
- cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
how to make aval payasam or poha kheer recipe with step by step photos
1. Heat ghee in a thick-bottomed pan. Add broken cashew nuts and roast till they start changing color. Transfer them to a plate and keep aside. In a thick bottomed pan, heat ghee, fry the cashews till they change color and raisins till they puff up. Remove them and keep them in a bowl.
2. In the remaining ghee, add the aval or poha and sauté them on medium flame till the aval changes its color. This step is optional but sauteeing aval in ghee gives a nice flavor.
3. Meanwhile, bring milk to a boil in a pan. When the milk starts boiling, add poha and cook on low flame till the aval gets cooked well. The time required for cooking poha depends on the type of aval used. I have used thick variety which took some time to cook. But if you are using thin variety, I suggest to reduce the milk before adding poha. The aval should be cooked well and they should be soft before adding sugar. Cook on low flame till milk gets reduced.
4. Add sugar and cardamom powder. Cook well on low flame for another 3 – 4 minutes.
5. Garnish with fried cashew nuts.