aval cutlet recipe or poha tikki is a tasty and easy to make tea time snack recipe. It is a cutlet recipe made with flattened rice.
aval or poha is often used in Indian cooking to make kanda poha, batata poha and many other dishes. I prepared aval cutlet as an after school snack for kids. It is a healthy snack for kids. If making for kids, you can omit green chili and add red chili powder alone.
Let us see how to make aval cutlet or poha tikki recipe with step by step photos.
aval cutlet recipe
- aval or poha – 1 cup
- potato – 1 medium, boiled,peeled and mashed
- onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- green chili – 1, finely chopped
- ginger – 1/2 teaspoon, grated
- chaat masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- coriander leaves – 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
- sooji or rava or semolina – as required
- lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- salt – to taste
- oil – for frying
how to make aval cutlet recipe with step by step photos
1.Wash and pressure cook potato for 3 – 4 whistles or until potato gets cooked well. Allow it to cool. Then peel off the skin and grate them. Keep aside.
2. Rinse poha twice or thrice in water. Squeeze out the excess water. You will find that the poha becomes very soft. I used the thick variety of poha. If you are using a thick variety of poha, then soak it in hot water for 10 minutes to make it soft.
3. Finely chop onion, coriander leaves, keep aside. Grate ginger. If you have ginger paste, you can make use of that.
4. Add grated potato, grated carrot, chopped onion, coriander leaves to a bowl. Add chopped green chili, red chili powder, chaat masala, grated ginger, roasted cumin powder, and salt. Add lemon juice and mix well.
5. Take small pinches of dough and make balls. Place the ball on your palm and gently flatten it to get the shape of patties or tikki.
6. Repeat the process with the rest of the dough.
7. Take semolina or sooji on a plate.
8. Take the prepared patties one by one and roll it on the semolina. Repeat the process with the rest of the tikkis.
9. Heat a tawa or a pan. When the pan is hot enough, place the prepared tikki one by one on the hot tawa. Drizzle one to two teaspoons of oil around the patties.
10. Cook on both sides till golden brown in a low flame. You can also deep fry the patties, but I have shallow fried.
11. Serve aloo tikki with tomato ketchup and cup of hot ginger tea or coffee.
aval cutlet recipe or poha tikki below
- aval or poha - 1 cup
- potato - 1 medium, boiled,peeled and mashed
- onion - 1 small, finely chopped
- green chili - 1, finely chopped
- ginger - ½ teaspoon, grated
- chaat masala - ½ teaspoon
- coriander leaves - 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
- sooji or rava or semolina - as required
- lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
- salt - to taste
- oil - for frying
- Pressure cook potatoes for 3 - 4 whistles or until soft. Peel the skin, grate and keep aside.
- Rinse poha twice or thrice and soak for 10 minutes or until it becomes soft.
- Add all the ingredients except oil into a bowl. Mix well. Make a dough.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
- Take sooji or semolina on a plate.
- Take each ball, flatten them to make patties.
- Roll the patties on the semolina.
- Heat a tawa. When the pan is hot enough, place the prepared patties on the hot tawa.
- Drizzle one or two teaspoons of oil on the aval cutlet.
- Flip and cook on low flame till it becomes golden brown.
- Serve aval cutlet with tomato ketchup.