ari murukku or rice murukku is a traditional snack item which is equally liked by everyone. There are various varieties of murukku and each of them equally tasty. I have already shared butter murukku here.
Today I am sharing ari murukku which is prepared in Kerala style. I got this recipe from my MIL. I have added red chilli powder here, but it is optional. My MIL never adds red chilli powder but I have added it just for a taste. Now to the recipe..
ari murukku recipe
- rice flour – 2 cups, roasted
- urad dal flour – 1/2 cup
- sesame seeds – 1/2 tablespoon
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- butter – 2 tablespoon
- chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- asafoetida powder or hing – one generous pinch
- salt – to taste
- oil – for deep frying
how to make ari murukku recipe or chakli recipe
1. In a bowl, add roasted rice flour, urud dal flour, sesame seeds, chilli powder, asafoetida powder, cumin seeds (you can also use cumin seed powder) and salt. Mix well. To this add melted butter and mix well.
2. Now add water little by little to make a smooth dough. The dough should not be too tight or too loose.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Take a portion of the dough, add it to the murukku press. Gently, press into coils in spiral shape into a parchment paper . When the oil is hot enough, wet your hands, take each spiral piece gently and slowly, slide it into hot oil.
4. Deep fry murukku until it becomes light brown color.
5. Repeat the steps until the entire dough is finished. Store it in an airtight container. This will make a perfect tea time snack.