Andhra paruppu podi/Kandi podi is a homemade spice mix powder or podi which is flavorful and protein-packed. Kandi podi is a classic Andhra recipe made with roasted toor dal (arhar dal), chana dal (bengal gram dal), dry red chili-, cumin seeds finely ground to a coarse powder. This can also be called as Andhra style gun powder.
Andhra paruppu podi is also called as kandi podi or pappu podi as it is made with paruppu, pappu or dal like toor dal and chana dal. This Andhra style paruppu podi or kandi podi is very famous and is available in ready-made packets. But I always love the taste and flavor of homemade paruppu podi. When you make it at home, you can adjust the chilies according to your preference.
Paruppu podi is usually served with hot white rice and a dollop of ghee. My kids love it. Moreover, this powder varieties are really handy when lazy or not in a mood to cook. I always buy vegetables from nearby market. But sometimes, there won’t be any vegetables at home, in such cases it is easy to prepare this paruppu podi and serve for lunch.
Paruppu podi or kandi podi can be stored in refrigerator for 1 or 2 months if stored properly in an airtight container.
Other than serving simply with rice and ghee, you can also make paruppu podi sadam with this spice powder. I always make this simple paruppu podi sadam and send it for lunch. For this, splutter mustard seeds, add chana dal, curry leaves, ginger garlic green chili and saute till raw smell goes off. Then add chopped capsicum, saute for a few minutes. Add cooked rice, paruppu podi, salt, and mix well. Serve hot.
Let us see simple, yet tasty paruppu podi recipe.
Other homemade spice powders:
How to make Andhra style paruppu podi (kandi podi) recipe with step by step pictures
1. Heat a pan, add toor dal, chana dal and dry roast it in medium flame till it turns golden brown. After frying you will get a nice aroma. Transfer it to a plate and keep aside.
2. Add dry red chili and roast in low flame. Transfer it to the plate along with the roasted dal. Keep aside.
3. To the same pan, add cumin seeds, and roast in low flame, till they are crisp and they release a nice aroma. Transfer it to the plate with dal.
4. To the same pan, add curry leaves and roast well. Transfer it along with the other contents.
5. Let all these ingredients get cooled. Then transfer the roasted ingredients along with hing, and salt into a coarse powder.
6. Store it in an airtight container.
7. Serve kandi podi with hot rice and ghee.
Andhra style paruppu podi recipe
- toor dal - 1 cup
- chana dal - 1 cup
- asafoetida powder / hing - ¼ teaspoon
- dry red chili - 7 - 8 nos.
- Garlic pods - 3 - 4 (optional)
- salt - to taste
- cumin seeds - ½ tablespoon
- curry leaves - one handful
- Dry roast toor dal and chana dal in medium flame till it turns golden brown. Keep aside.
- Fry dry red chili also in low flame, keep aside.
- Add cumin seeds, garlic cloves, roast and transfer dal to a plate.
- Roast curry leaves and keep them aside.
- Wait till the ingredients get cooled.
- Transfer all the roasted ingredients to a mixer jar. Grind coarsely with hing and salt.
- Store it in an airtight container.
- Serve paruppu podi with hot rice and ghee.