When making aloo paratha, they should be cooked properly on all the sides. Undercooked paratha do not taste good. The griddle or tawa should be hot enough before placing the paratha dough. And take care to regulate the heat between high and medium while cooking paratha so that they get cooked well and do not get burnt. Cook on both sides until nice golden spots appear on both the sides. The usage of ghee or clarified butter enhances the taste of aloo paratha.
Let us see how to make punjabi aloo paratha recipe with step by step photos.
preparation time: 20 mins
cooking time: 20 mins
recipe type: breakfast
serves: 2 – 3
equipments required: Roti Tawa
For making dough:
- whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- oil or ghee – 1 teaspoon
- oil or ghee – for cooking parathas
- potatoes – 3 – 4, medium, boiled, peeled and mashed
- salt – to taste
- onion – 1 ,finely chopped, optional
- green chili – 1 – 2, finely chopped
- ginger – 1 small piece, grated
- ajwain – a pinch
- coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
- garam masala powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chilly powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- jeera or cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- amchur powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- chaat masala – 1/2 teaspoon
how to make punjabi aloo paratha recipe with step by step photos
1. In a bowl, add 1 cup of whole wheat flour, salt and oil. Mix it well until it forms a crumble. Now slowly add water little by little and knead it a soft dough. Knead it again for 3 – 4 minutes and then coat it with some more oil (few drops). Cover the bowl with a lid and then set it aside for 10 – 15 minutes.
2. Add potatoes in a pressure cooker with enough water. Pressure cook for 3 – 4 whistles or until potatoes get cooked well. Bring it to room temparature. Then peel it and mash it. In a bowl, add the boiled and mashed potatoes . Then add chopped green chillies, carom seeds, cumin seeds, garam masala, chilly powder, coriander leaves (chopped), grated ginger, chopped onion, chaat masala and salt. Mix every thing together.
making aloo paratha
3. Divide the dough into equal sized balls. Do the same with the filling also. I always prefer to make my stuffing little smaller than the dough balls.
punjabi aloo paratha recipe below
- For making dough:
- whole wheat flour - 2 cups
- salt - ¼ teaspoon
- oil or ghee - 1 teaspoon
- oil or ghee - for cooking parathas
- For stuffing:
- potatoes - 3 - 4, medium, boiled, peeled and mashed
- salt - to taste
- onion - 1 ,finely chopped, optional
- green chili - 1 - 2, finely chopped
- ginger - 1 small piece, grated
- ajwain - a pinch
- coriander leaves - 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
- garam masala powder - ¼ teaspoon
- red chilly powder - ¾ teaspoon
- jeera or cumin powder - ½ teaspoon
- amchur powder - ½ teaspoon
- chaat masala - ½ teaspoon
- In a bowl, add wheat flour, salt, oil. Mix well.
- Add water little by little and make a soft, firm dough. Cover and keep it aside for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Pressure cook potatoes with enough water for 3 - 4 whistles.
- Bring them to room temperature, then peel the skin and mash them.
- Add all the other ingredients mentioned under "for stuffing" in it and mix well. Keep aside.
- Take the dough, knead it once more.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
- Same way, divide the stuffing into equal sized balls.
- Take one dough, slightly flatten it, and place the stuffing in the middle.
- Pull the edges of the dough and seal it well so that the stuffing is not seen outside.
- Gently, press it with your palms and make patties.
- Dust the patties with flour, and gently, roll them into circles.
- Heat a tawa or a griddle and grease it with oil.
- When the tawa is hot enough, place the rolled circle onto the hot tawa.
- Cook on both sides till golden spots appear on the surface.
Enjoy aloo paratha with curd and pickle.