aloo ka bharta recipe | aloo bharta | potato bharta – tasty and easy to make Indian style mashed potato recipe. It is very popular in various parts of North India. It is very popular in Bengal and Rajasthan though the method of preparation varies a little.
aloo ka bharta | aloo bharta – bharta means mashed and there are various ways of preparing aloo bharta. Often, I make chapati or roti for dinner and after working for a full day, I prefer making some easy side dish for chapati. This aloo ka bharta one such recipe which can be made easily in 10 minutes. I have already baingan bharta recipe.
aloo ka bhata tastes great with chapati, roti, paratha and also with poori.
Let us see how to make aloo ka bharta recipe with step by step photos.
aloo ka bharta recipe
preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 10 minutes
recipe type: main, side dish
serves: 3 – 4
- oil – 2 – 3 tablespoons
- dry red chili – 1
- onion – 1, finely chopped (optional)
- cumin seeds or jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
- hing or asafetida powder – a pinch
- aloo or potato – 5, boiled
- green chili – 2, finely chopped
- ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- coriander leaves – 4 teaspoons, finely chopped
- salt – to taste
how to make aloo ka bharta recipe with step by step photos
1. Pressure cook potatoes in enough water for 3 – 4 whistles. Allow it to cool. Peel off the skin and roughly chop them into pieces. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Reduce the flame to low, add dry red chili, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder, hing, ginger paste, and green chili. Saute for a few seconds.
3. Add onion, and saute till it turns translucent.
4. To this add red chili powder, garam masala, and mix well. Keep stirring and cook on a low flame till oil starts floating on the top.
5. Now add potato pieces, salt, lemon juice, and coriander leaves. Keep stirring and cook for 2 – 3 minutes till the masala gets coated well on the potato pieces. Turn off the flame. Garnish with coriander leaves.
6. aloo ka bharta is ready. Serve hot with chapati, roti, or with poori.
aloo ka bharta or potato bharta recipe below
- oil - 2 - 3 tablespoons
- dry red chili - 1
- onion - 1, finely chopped (optional)
- cumin seeds or jeera - ½ teaspoon
- hing or asafetida powder - a pinch
- aloo or potato - 5, boiled
- green chili - 2, finely chopped
- ginger paste - 1 teaspoon
- turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- red chili powder - ½ teaspoon
- coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
- garam masala - ¼ teaspoon
- lemon juice - 2 tablespoons
- coriander leaves - 4 teaspoons, finely chopped
- salt - to taste
- Pressure cook potatoes for 3 to 4 whistles. Peel off the skin, mash them and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Reduce the flame to low.
- Add cumin seeds, dry red chili, ginger paste, coriander powder, asafetida powder, and saute for a second.
- Add onion and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add the mashed potato, red chili powder, garam masala, salt, coriander leaves and mix well.
- Add lemon juice mix well, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- The masala should get coated well on the potato pieces. Turn off the flame.
- aloo ka bharta is ready.