achinga payar mezhukkupuratti / achinga mezhukkupuratti recipe – Long beans (achinga payar/ achinga in Malayalam) is also called as snake beans or asparagus beans. This recipe is a simple stir fry made with long beans.
They are a good source of vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, iron, phosphorous, potassium, and vitamin C, folate, magnesium and manganese. It is one crop which is cultivated from ancient times and is one vegetable with very low calories. It contains large quantities of soluble and insoluble fibers. It is available year long in almost all markets. But when you buy it make sure to buy smooth, firm yet flexible, fleshy, long, immature pods which are uniformly green. Don’t buy mature, yellowish pods.
This is one of my favourite dish. It goes well with rice. Whenever I go to market, I buy one bunch. This is one of the tastiest and easiest Kerala based recipe which I mostly make. So today, when I made this, I thought I will share it with you.
My mother makes use of shallots, but I was l was lazy early in the morning so I have used the normal big one. You can replace this by 10 – 12 shallots crushed. This long beans can also be combined with raw plantain and made in the same method. Long beans and plantain make a good combination and tastes better.
Let us see how to make achinga payar mezhukkupuratti recipe.
achinga payar mezhukkupuratti | long beans stir fry
Achinga mezhukkupuratti – Ingredients
- payar – 1 bunch
- onion – 1 , finely chopped
- green chili – 1
- red chili powder – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- curry leaves – few
- coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- garlic (optional) – 1 – 2 (crushed)
- salt (to taste)
1. cut the payar or long beans into 1/2 inch long pieces.
How to make payar mezhukkupuratti
1. In a pan, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, add onions, green chilly sauté it nicely. (If you are using garlic, add crushed garlic along with this)
2. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, curry leaves and sauté till the raw smell goes off.
3. Add the chopped beans and sauté it
4. Now add a little water to it around (1/2 glass) allow it to boil.
5. Once it starts boiling, bring the gas to sim, close the lid and allow it to cook.
6. Once cooked, then you can fry it if necessary by adding more oil.